JOB DESCRIPTION – ADVOCATE I
This position is grant dependent.
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: Manavi, is a nonprofit community based organization that follows a Cooperative model of governance. The goal of Manavi is to empower women who trace their heritage to South Asia. To this purpose, Manavi believes violence is a barrier and an important factor in the disempowerment of women. Manavi considers violence against women to be more extensive than just domestic violence and sexual assault. Thus, Manavi believes that attitudes, conditions, and behaviors that perpetuate women’s subordination in society constitute violence against them and works to eliminate violence in the lives of South Asian women and their children. Manavi’s work has local, statewide, national, and international focus and a clear and cooperative agenda for social change.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Advocate I is part of a team of staff members that works on a day-to-day basis to implement Manavi’s goal of empowering victimized South Asian women. This position has primary responsibilities of advocating for women by centralizing their needs in practice. Furthermore, s/he ensures the smooth overall functioning of other aspects of the organization. Advocate I will participate in the Advocacy Collective and adhere to the requirements of the group. S/he reports to the Collective as well as the Board of Directors.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: The candidate must have 40 hours of Domestic Violence Response Training (DVRT) and/or 60 hours of Sexual Assault Response Training (SART) as required by the state of New Jersey. In addition, s/he must have 20 hours of training in South Asian cultural issues provided by Manavi. These trainings may be obtained after joining work at one’s own time, but must be completed within six (6) months of starting work. The candidate must be organized, interested in working with individuals and communities, and a self motivated worker. The ideal candidate would also have knowledge of violence against women and interest in social justice work. Demonstrable writing, organizing, and computer skills as well as public speaking experience are added qualifications. S/he must have flexibility in work hours including a few evening and weekend hours. Some out-of-state travel and training work may be involved.
Proficiency in at least one South Asian language is a must.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Fulfill all the grant specific deliverables
- Provide advocacy to survivors of violence including information and resource referrals, interpretation, and court as well as medical accompaniment
- Assist survivors of violence to build financial independence including but not limited to resume writing, job searching, developing interviewing techniques and other marketable skills
- Liaise and partner with existing resources including government programs, job centers, community based and other organizations. Build, enhance, and maintain advocacy resources
- Coordinate meetings and provide trainings for volunteers and organizations on an as needed basis.
- Represent Manavi at events, conferences and panel discussions as needed
- Provide project reports, budgets, and service statistics as needed
- Share in administrative duties, such as filing, record keeping and participating in the coordination of 24 x 7 shifts
- Help coordinate and participate in organizational events such as annual dinner and national conferences
- Participate in organizational events such as annual dinner, marches and parades, trainings, and community events
- Perform additional duties as required
To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org